Tuesday, February 23, 2010

tomcat and eclipse

For the fourth time I have struggled with getting eclipse and tomcat to play along on Ubuntu.

Some tricks:
  • install JST containters from WTP updates to get Tomcat server configurations in the server runtimes panel of WTP. Alledgedly it has to be from http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates and no other site.
  • make sure in /usr/share/tomcat6 you symlink conf to a valid tomcat6 configuration dir. I have it like this "sudo ln -s /var/lib/tomcat6/conf conf", it ends up pointing at /etc/tomcat6/ anyways.
  • make sure your project has the Dynamic Web Module Facet installed.
  • make sure you have webContent/WEB-INF/web.xml pointing at a config of your preference.
  • have lots of Zen. Next ubuntu/eclipse update will break everything. Start with fixing your nvidia xorg.conf. Erm, no install the drivers somehow first. No, not from apt, from envy or something or.... grr. Whatever. I got linux coz I wanted to be able to freely muck around with my system. Mucking around I get tons of.

No comments: